TN (NAFTA Professionals)
- The TN nonimmigrant visa permits qualified citizens of Canadian and Mexican, under North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), to work in the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level.
- The employer can be either U.S. or foreign entities.
- Applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
- Profession is qualified under the regulations;
- Position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional;
- Applicant will work in a prearranged full-time or part-time for an employer (but not self-employment); and
- Applicant has the qualifications to practice in the profession in question.
Period of Stay:
- The initial period of stay for TN visa is up to 3 years.
- May extend status indefinitely in increments of up to 3 years each.
- Spouse and children under the age of 21 may be eligible for TD nonimmigrant status.
- Spouses and children are not permitted to work in the United States, although they may attend school.