R-1 (Religious Workers)
- The R-1 visa is a non-immigrant category designated for a religious worker to perform temporary services for a religious organization.
- The applicant must have worked for at least 2 years immediately preceding the filing of the petition for a religious denomination, which has a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the U.S.
Period of Stay:
- Initial period of admission is up to 30 months.
- Subsequent extensions may be granted for up to an additional 30 months.
- The maximum period of stay in R-1 visa is 60 months (5 years).
- Spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may be eligible for R-2 classification.
- Spouse and unmarried children are not authorized to work.