R-1 (Religious Workers)


  • The R-1 visa is a non-immigrant category designated for a religious worker to perform temporary services for a religious organization.


  • The applicant must have worked for at least 2 years immediately preceding the filing of the petition for a religious denomination, which has a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the U.S.

Period of Stay:

  • Initial period of admission is up to 30 months.
  • Subsequent extensions may be granted for up to an additional 30 months.
  • The maximum period of stay in R-1 visa is 60 months (5 years).


  • Spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may be eligible for R-2 classification.
  • Spouse and unmarried children are not authorized to work.